Friday, September 28, 2007

Right People, Right Place, Right Plan

Read 106 pages of a new book yesterday by an author I've never read before. It's Jentezen Franklin--Right People, Right Place, Right Plan. It's about discerning the voice of God. In my prayer time today, I focused on allowing the Holy Spirit to connect with my spirit in five ways:

1. Asking God to stir my spirit--give me a holy discontent for the lost, for ministry, for the church.
2. Asking God to lead me by my spirit--to follow the gentle nudgings of the Holy Spirit throughout the day.
3. Asking God to put help me purpose in my spirit--not just decide things in my mind, but purpose eternal things in my spirit.
4. Asking God to compel me by his spirit--to so bind me to his will for my life that I don't want to and can't break free from it.
5. Asking God to give me peace in my spirit--we make tons of decisions everyday. I need peace in my spirit t show me the right decisions.

He said something I have believed for a long time, "Just because a door is wide open, it doesn't mean you are supposed to walk through it. This is where you need the Holy Spirit's guidance." Wow. What a thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jentezen Franklin is incredible! I have not read his books, but I have watched a youth video series of his. I would love to read this book though... thanks for the heads up!

kcobb said...

Good post. Glenn is that "spirit" outline yours or from the book? If I recycle it in a message - I want to give credit!

Norm Rayburn said...

I have always thought of Gods voice and relationship with Him as a radio station. Sometimes the station is real clear sometimes you got to adjust the dial but at some point it will come in just right. I am always fascinated by peoples examples of just how they knew they were to do X Y Z in their lives. As for me I use confirmation thru a pastors sermon or people that seem to have similar points etc. then I take a leap and trust for the best.

Norm Rayburn