Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Purpose and Goals

I was talking with one of our Iowa church planters today who told me that he is focusing on 90-day goals. That seems to make sense to me. I think that I have always intuitively, maybe not knowingly, done that. The church calendar seems to rotate on 90 day cycles through the seasons.

Obviously, 90-day goals should be rooted in the purpose of the organization. I often ask, "What do I need to do that will move us the greatest distance toward our vision?" The answer to those questions become my goals for that next period of time. Those goals then must be transferred to our daily action list. Here are some thoughts about goals:

1. They must be realistic.
2. They must be written down.
3. They must be specific enough to measure.
4. They must have a deadline.
5. They must be take you closer to the vision.

No comments: