Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Write it Down!

I have an on again/off again relationship with journaling. It's a habit I started in junior high and then really developed during my internship 15 years ago. I've picked it up again as a spiritual discipline this summer. I try to write every day. Here's what I write:
  • Ideas from the biblical text that I read that day.
  • Prayers for my own life and for others.
  • Goals for each month and dreams for the future.
  • Quotes and ideas from books I'm reading or podcasts I'm listening to.

One quote I wrote yesterday said this, "Our character is essentially total of our habits." What an amazing thought--my character is simply the result of the habits I fuel my life with every day. That fits great with our new message series "In the Zone" that says everyone winds up somewhere, few people wind up their on purpose. Habits are the winds that move our lives in one direction or another.

This summer, I'm trying to add habits that are helpful to my routine. I wonder what habits you might be trying to add to your life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my prayer for this week is for a calzone...I haven't gotten it yet. Maybe next Sunday?

Glenn Reynolds said...

Are you buying?

Anonymous said...

Back in your younger days, you use to wonder if we were reading your journal, it's just that moms and dads know these things...
Happy Father's Day

We're very proud of the dad you are.

You and your church family are on my prayer list.
Mom