Monday, September 25, 2006

Designed to Be Innovative

Of the five ideas I shared a couple of weeks ago, the one that got the least "amens" was the thought about being designed to be innovative--that we not grudgingly accept change, but we look for opportunities to change. Why is it that people don't like change. Here's what I think.
  • Growth means change.
  • Change means loss.
  • Loss means grief.
  • Grief means pain.

So, for most people, change equals pain. So, I think that's why most people resist change. I try to look at the first sentence more than the last. To grow, I've got to change. I remember the year we changed locations, changed to small groups, and changed the entire staff. There was some loss. We lost some staff. We lost some people. There was grief and there was pain. But, there was growth in our purpose and vision. Let's commit to be designed to be innovative.

No comments: