Thursday, January 31, 2008

Forward 2/1/08

Here's the second idea about humility from James 4.6-10.


Resist the Devil

What in the world does resisting the devil have to do with humility? More than you think. Often, we don't resist the devil or fight against temptation becuase we think we can control it. We know when to stop. You know, "I can quit any time I want to" mentality. So, we play with temptation.


That's an incredible amount of pride, don't you think? I can be the only one to pull this fire into my lap and not get burnt. I can play with this temptation--I can let it be a foothold, but keep it from becoming a stronghold.


Or, even worse, I can play with it and not get caught. I can keep it all under control and out of sight and no one will ever know. I can be the father, husband, and pastor I need to be and still have this in my life.


That's pride--not humility!


Humility understands that I can't play with temptation--I'm not good enough to mess with sin. I've got to resist the devil with all of my strength.


So, that's my prayer today--That God will help me crucify my flesh, be filled with Holy Spirit, put on the armor of God and fight against the enemy. The promise is that he will flee when we do that!

No comments: