Friday, December 16, 2005

Setting Goals and Achieving Dreams

Yesterday, I traveled to Iowa City to meet with three of our church planters. We talked about the exciting things going on in these new churches. Along the way, we also talked about a pattern for setting and achieving goals from Rick Warren's Leadership Lifters. Let me pass that along to you:

1. Determine Your Position

You've got to ask the questions, "Where am I and what do I want to change?"

2. Define Your Purpose

No surprise that Warren encourages us to know our purpose. To get there, ask three questions: Who do I want to be? What do I want to do? What do I want to have?

3. Discover a Promise

That's why I love the little book Speak It Out. It's full of promises to claim.

4. Describe the Profit

If you can't see the reward, you'll give up in the middle of the struggle. Remember, Those who quit remember the ordeal, those who endure remember the adventure.

5. Desire in Prayer

Prayer does two things: 1. It reveals desire. 2. It shows your dependence.

Here's the question, "Am I praying over my goals?"

6. Diagnose the Problems

There are all kinds of barriers to your God-given goals: emotional, financial, intellectual, relational. When you ask, "Why don't I have it already?" it will lead to step seven.

7. Design a Plan

How am I going to get to the goal? How am I going to tear down the barrier.

8. Discipline Your Personality

9. Deposit the Price

Every goal has a price tag. Jesus told us to count the cost before we begin to build. Are you willing to pay the price?

10. Depend on People

One is too small a number for greatness. You've got to involve people in your dream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glenn,
this is a really good article. I'm going to recommend it to our small group hosts.

Tom Jacobs