Thursday, January 18, 2007

Elvis, Barry, Conway, and Lynnard Skynnard

I had a great day yesterday. Took Corbin to school. Worked at the office. Had lunch with Amberly. Then, I got in the car and travelled to Iowa City where I interviewed a potential church planter and met with Rich Greene, our church planter in Iowa City. From there, I headed to LeClaire, Iowa. Pastor Jeff Crowder and I led that church's annual meeting. Jeff is doing a great job in revitalizing that church.

Then came the ride back to Des Moines. I left LeClaire and merged onto Interstate 80 at exit 306, knowing that exit 140 was a long ways off. I talked on the phone for a while. I listened to preaching on my ipod. I listened to Hillsong on my ipod.

Around 10 PM, though, it was all I could do to stay awake. No sermon or worship chorus was cutting it.

So, we had to dig deeper into the ipod. That's were I found Barry Manilow at the Copacabanna. It's still the hottest spot north of Havanna. Then, Elvis begged to Let Me Be There and told Johnny to B. Goode. After that Conway Twitty and I did a duet to Hello Darling. By this time I was waking up and thought I was ready for Lynnard Skynnard. For the final couple of miles, we belted out Sweet Home Alabama as I pulled into my sweet home Iowa's drive way.

After ten hours of driving and meetings, I was home. Sometimes, you've got to do what you've got to do.

No comments: