Friday, July 18, 2008

Final Deacon Board Meeting

Below is a farewell and final motion to adjourn that I read in the deacon board meeting. I will post a photo of the artwork when it's available:

Through the years, I have heard pastors complain about their boards—about their meddling in the ministry, about them opposing change, about them resisting innovation. I am certain that in many places this has been the case. However, it has not been the case here. This board and the ones who preceded it have been a blessing to me and to the church family.

Tonight, in our last meeting together, let me say thank you for the hours you have invested in me, this church, and our community. Together, we have walked the path the Lord laid out for us. Sometimes, we coasted with the wind of the Spirit at our backs. At other times, the Lord let us climb up hill to teach to keep going and never give up.

Dave, you have added a jovial spirit and deep spiritual insight to the board. I appreciate your heartfelt concern for people and the love you have for the Lord. Knowing that you and Joyce are praying for me makes me rejoice!

Garry, your level-headed approach to life and ministry brings a calm spirit to everything we do. I appreciate your mature attitude and your unflappable heart. You and Melody bring an assurance to the board that is critical at this time.

Nathan, there is no one I could be more proud of than you. Your growth in Christ, your commitment to ministry, your positive spirit, and your wisdom stretch beyond your years. I am proud of you Vanessa and am excited about what God is going to do in your life.

Russ, we have laughed together, prayed together, and cried together. Your common sense, humility, and abiding trust in the leading of the Holy Spirit have served this church and board well. I am a better person for having known you. You and Julie bring such giving hearts to this church. You are a blessing.

Your new pastor will be God’s gift to this church. You will be this church’s gift to him. I know you will receive him, love him, support him, and walk with him just as you have me. Our time of serving together on the board concludes tonight, but before we do, Amberly and I would like to present a gift from us to you and the board members who have served before you. I pray that as this piece of art hangs in the board room you will look at it and remember my prayer for you—may the Lord bless you and keep you.

And, now, I would entertain a motion to adjourn our meetings as a board, but to continue our lives together as friends, but even more as brothers forever as sons of the same Heavenly Father no matter where we live, near or far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor:

It seems like yesterday that a young pastor showed up at my door with a jar of jelly, thanking Julie and I for visiting his Church. Little did I know at that time that this young pastor would be more than just a pastor, but my best friend. That day was certainly the beginning of our season together.

A Pastor is defined as a "Christian minister in his capacity of having spiritual charge over a congregation" and as "a shepherd." On behalf of the Board, I want to tell you that you have fulfilled your charge and led us and this church according to the will of God and the leading of his Holy Spitit. As our shepherd, you have led us and the church with the tenderness, love and authority that only can come from the spirit of God that lives in you and shines through.

As the motion to adjourn was made and seconded I realized (yet again) that our season together had come to an end. But although our season is at an end, I am filled with the wonderful memories that have come from being able to share a part of my life with you.

As the song by Michael W. Smith goes:

"Friends are friends forever
If the lords the lord of them
And a friend will not say never
cause the welcome will not end
Though its hard to let you go
In the fathers hands we know
That a lifetimes not too long to live as friends."

You are my friend forever and you will always be welcome in our church, in our home and in our hearts. I love you Brother.

Russ Hixson

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Russ. We are all blessed to have such a wonderful Board to see us through this period of transition.
Jan W.