Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Believe in Miracles, but Trust in Jesus

Before I went to bed at 11:45 last night I tuned into Fox News to see elated family and friends of the West Virginia coal miners. They were praising God, hugging, and rejoicing because they had been told that their fathers, sons, brothers, and friends had been found alive.

Before I came to prayer this morning, I tuned to Fox News around 6:15 and saw a completely different scene. Apparently, the report had been wrong and after three hours of celebrating, the family and friends were told that only one miner lived while the others perished.

What a horrible emotional roller coaster. Then I wondered how God fit into the picture. They all praised God when the miners were reported saved. Now, will they blame him because they are dead. What potential for a faith wreck.

Then, I remembered a quote from Adrian Rogers, former pastor of believe Baptist Church in Memphis. He said, "Believe in miracles, but trust in Jesus." Rogers had experienced tragedy himself with the death of a newborn years ago due to SIDS. That thought is my prayer for the family and friends of the miners--that they will still believe in miracles, but even more that they will trust in Jesus.

2 comments:

joshua said...

very sad day for those people. It is hard to trust God sometimes in the difficult days.

My grandma was diagnosed Saturday with colon cancer, and they think it is spread to other areas as well. I have to admit, i know God can heal, but i wasnt really confident he would (on saturday). I do feel better about after a few days, but I think doubt and disbelief comes with the shock of the situation.

Glenn Reynolds said...

I think those are normal initial responses that God can handle. He wants to help moves us through those reactions--not prevent them--to trust in Jesus.