Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Priorities in 2006

I just re-read some great stuff on how to set priorities. The key is to remember the 3 R's:

1. What is required?
There are some things that we simply must do. I've got to write a sermon every week. For me, it's simply required. Whether I was on vacation the week before or not, the sermon is due on Sunday. It's a requirement. Fortunately, most of my requirements are in areas that I love--though not all. Those we need to get done first. I remember the old saying, "Eat the frog first."

2. What gives me the greatest return?
The effort expended should be in proportion to the results expected. This has to do with operating in the area of strengths, rather than weaknesses. For me, that deals with strategy, communication, and creativity. As you work in the areas of your strength, the return on your investment increases.

3. What gives the greatest reward?
These are the things we love doing because we get the greatest charge out of them. We enjoy them personally.

Here's the big key: when all three line up you're living your dream. When the requirements are met by your strengths that give the highest return and they also bring you the greatest reward...that's the sweet spot of living.

1 comment:

joshua said...

very true, sometimes hard to get right in the zone. for me it takes time to learn to delegate some of those things that help me get in the "sweet spot of life."

Keep encouraging us, thanks