Monday, January 16, 2006

Remember the Adventure


I'm excited about going to Tommy Barnett's Pastor's and Leader's School at Phoenix First Assembly in just a few weeks--we've got a total of 17 going in our group. It's going to be great.

Tommy Barnett was incredibly influential in convincing me not to give up when I want to give up so badly. And, he didn't even know it. My mother-in-law got me the tapes (yes tapes, not CD's back then) from the conference. Things weren't' going well at church. I had no real identity as a pastor. I had no clear vision for the church. We were averaging just over 100 in the school facility.

I listened to one of the tapes--For Such a Time as This. At the end of the tape, he began to pray for people who wanted to give up. I sensed God's Spirit so strongly in the car that I had to pull over. It was amazing! I couldn't stop crying.

That was a a little more than five years ago. Here are two lessons I've learned since then:

1. If you don't quit, you can't lose.
2. If you quit, you remember the ordeal. If you don't quit you remember the adventure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Glenn,
You will really enjoy this conference. I had the priviledge of attending several years ago and was so inspired to dream big. I love how Pastor Barnett empowers his people to minister and is an out-of-the-box thinker. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
I will step out in faith and speak for the overwelming vast majority at our church and say - THANKS FOR NOT QUITTING! Names are ontinuing to be written in the Lambs book of Life in heaven.
SRD

Glenn Reynolds said...

I'm glad the church didn't quit on me back then! It's a great church to pastor. I love it.